What Are Drug Offenses?
There are various drug related charges. The consequences usually are relative to the nature and quantity of the drug involved.
Some different drug charges may include:
- Simple drug possession
- Drug trafficking
- Possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking
- Production of a controlled substances and production in a “drug lab”
- Drug Importation
- Drug Exportation
Drug cases are prosecuted based on evidence obtained through search warrants, surveillance, wiretaps, and/or undercover operations. Some of these techniques for gathering evidence may be subject to an infringement of your Charter rights therefore resulting in an acquittal or withdrawal of charges.
In some cases, charges may be withdrawn through the Alternative Measures Program (AMP) or the Mental Health Diversion (MHD) if agreed by the Crown Prosecutor. If a person is accepted into a program and successfully complete the requirements of that program, charges may be withdrawn.
The Criminal Defense lawyers at Connolly & Associates have extensive experience and knowledge of the Criminal Code of Canada, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and common law in order to defend any drug related case.
- Possible Mandatory minimum jail sentence and depending on the severity it could be in a Federal Prison
- Costly Fines
- Permanent criminal record
- Inability to travel to other countries